• Register
  • Login
  • IRC

Dark Negative Anti-Social - 2006-2016

Thank you for everything!

Author Topic: Musician  (Read 6011 times)

• habla

• chuj
      • View Profile
      • Achievements
    Musician
    « on: September 08, 2013, 13:04:36 »
    Anyone here a musician? and for how long etc, etc.

I myself am a drummer, close to 7 years and I suck, but I love it. Can't be without it.

I also play bas and accoustic guitar from time to time. Have been in a band for a short period.

I'm self taught and I play as many styles as possible (rock,funk,etc). fav. drummers: Bill Ward, Nicko McBrain, Mike Bordin.

You? :)
    GOD IS DEAD

2006-2016

• Darfy

• View Profile
      • Achievements
    Re: Musician
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 13:33:18 »
    I'm also a drummer! Had my first touch on drums at age 9 but been actively playing since age of 11. I'm also all self-taught, though got to give my ex-step dad a credit for inspiration (He's also a drummer, pretty known in Finland actually)

I can also handle the guitar, bass and keyboards somewhat fluently, can't read notes however but I can do just fine with tabs. I was in a band for several years but all we ever managed to do was to learn a shitload of covers and play them all day long for our own enjoyment. We did (our guitarist, the mastermind, did) write tons of songs though and we did play them but we never had a single gig..

My favorite drummers of all time are John Bonham, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Gavin Harrison and a Finnish virtuoso Sami Kuoppamäki.

Here's my current kit!
    « Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 14:03:07 by Darfy »

• habla

• chuj
      • View Profile
      • Achievements
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 14:04:04 »
    Nice mate, can't read notes at all either, though as you said tabs work just fine.. A keyboardist once told me to learn music best I should pick up keyboards, any truth to that?

Neil Peart! Rock on.

Lovely kit, what brand are the toms and snare?
    GOD IS DEAD

2006-2016

• Darfy

• View Profile
      • Achievements
    « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 14:24:22 »
    Thanks! The kit is M Pro series by Mapex. Cymbals are all Zildjian Avedis except for the 12" splash (or 10", can't remember lol) which is Zildjian A-Custom. I've tried to buy all the 'pieces' from the same manufacturers because in my opinion it not only looks but also can sound silly if they're all different brands and models, especially if there's a big difference in quality of the pieces.

Well, as being primarily a drummer I don't feel like needing to master keyboard to get better in any way. If I was a guitarist then I think it would definitely help a lot.

• Revolver

• View Profile
      • Achievements
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 19:38:52 »
    Guitarists here. :P

I have been playing for 4 years acoustic and half of a year electric guitar (just recently bought). I've decided to start playing guitar, mainly because of my love to rock (that fucking awesome solos and bass themes). I'm not so good at playing, i guess, because i don't have the required speed yet to play solos for example  :-\. But despite this i've even got the second place on the musical contest (out of 17 participants, lol) in my school a year ago for the perfomance of the song: Sting - Snape of My Heart :D  8-).

Here's my love <3